Friday, May 28, 2010

Summer

My life is like a series of waves, pushing toward shore with a never ceasing persistence and power. Sometimes I surprise myself by noticing that I am trying to change those waves, trying to overcome their push toward land. In other words, I am aware that I become out of sync when I try to change the inevitable flow of my life. I notice that I am out of control. I am not really, just loosing my bearings and loosing my focus.

A few things have helped me through this. One, my wife. I didn't think on it much before I got married what would change in my relationship. I didn't know our marriage would make us both stronger and more powerful when we work together. The second thing is Group therapizing. I worked with a woman who used a group format to teach how to have healthy relationships. Her website is www.ethicalife.com/.

Now I find myself a college student, and I say the busyness of the semester is my building tolerance. What else is it when I go to school for two 13 hour days, work 30 hours a week and study the remaining hours, but an opportunity to build mental and intellectual endurance. Just as an alcoholic parties and drinks to free their minds from suffering, so to do they build tolerance.

Being on summer break I realize the true benefits of this process. Through the trials and challenges I faced in my classes, General Chemistry and Calculus I, I learned to persevere. My wife is getting me back for a few months and we are reaping the rewards of connection, long partitioned but not lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment